Edward Gibbons in his classic study declared, "The collapse of the Roman Empire was the result of five primary causes. He listed them as follows:
- The rapid increase in divorce and the undermining of the sanctity of the home.
- The spiraling rise of taxes and extravagant spending.
- The mounting craze for pleasure and the brutalization of sports.
- The building of gigantic armaments and the failure to recognize that the real enemy is moral decay.
- The decay of religion and the fading of faith into a mere form.
If Gibbions was right we better watch out. We need to turn our eyes upon Jesus and get back to the God of our Fathers. Five icy fingers of death are threatening to choke out the life of this great country. Let us get back to God.
Scripture: "If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? Psalm 11:2
Rev. W. Scott Lockard
©2003 Pastor Lockard's Living on the Bright side Ministries